IMA-FOMA DELHI RESOLUTIONS
(IMA- Federation of Medical Associations of India)
Prescription of Generic Name of the Drugs by Medical Professionals
· IMA-FOMA appreciates Hon’ble Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi’s concern about the availability, accessibility and affordability of quality economical drugs to the society.
· IMA-FOMA recommends that Government should ban differential pricing of a drug under different brand names by one company.
· IMA-FOMA also wants Government to strengthen quality control mechanism to ensure supply of quality drugs.
· The current MCI Ethics Regulations Clause No. 1.5 is as under ” All physicians SHOULD prescribe medicines with generic names, legibly and preferably in capital letters and SHALL ensure rational prescription and use of drugs”
· The judgement to choose a rational drug vests only with Registered Medical Practitioners.
· For a rational prescription, doctors should choose drugs based on quality, efficacy and economy preferably from National List of Essential Medicines (NLEM) and write legibly and preferably in capitals letters.
· IMA FOMA will be meeting the President of MCI, Union Health Minister and Prime Minister of India about the views of the medical fraternity on this issue.
· All the constituent members of IMA-FOMA shall communicate these IMA-FOMA Delhi Resolutions to its members.
List of Associations attended FOMA meeting today
· Indian Medical Association
· All India Ophthalmological Society
· Urological Society of India
· Geriatric Society of India
· Indian Radiology & Imaging Association
· Indian Academy of Echocardiography
· Heart Care Foundation of India
· Cardiological Society of India
· Association of Surgeons of India
· Indian Psychiatric Society
· Delhi Psychiatrist Society
· Indian Orthopaedic Association
· The Federation of Obstetric & Gynaecological Societies of India
· Indian Association of Dermatologists, Venereologists and Leprologists
· Association of Physicians of India