In UK law, only a person with capacity can give consent. There is no proxy consent. When a person loses capacity due to mental disorder ( for ex delirium) , the doctor can take a decision in the best interest of patient. He takes the wishes of family members as a good practice. If time permits and pt does not agree for a treatment ( for ex surgery) , he should approach court. Usually trusts legal time does all the work plus advice. You can not treat physical illnesses of mentally ill under MHA.Ofcouse Psychiatric treatment is given under Mental health act and no need for court intervention.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: